Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Atheist


Atheist. Stitched main words: Atheist. No Creator in the Sky; No Damnation...just Evolutionary Phenomena. Smaller words: I just don't believe that there's anyone out there...no creator with a plan...No being watching, listening, guiding us through the darkness. God just isn't one of my stories. There is no God...No Meaning in the Chaos.  Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin. 25" x 18". Hand embroidery.  25” x 19” unframed;  31” x 25” framed.  Click on image to enlarge.

In the autumn of 2008 I spent a glorious six-week artist residency on Westport Island, Maine.  Maria Robinson was one of the other artists experiencing the generosity and time provided by the MacNamara Foundation. She is a writer. She excels in strong characters, evocative phrases, and attention to significant details. Maria is also an atheist and the perfect person to articulate this decision to me.

Though I don't pretend to understand this decision, Maria was easily able to convey her thoughts and feeling in a way that made stitching this piece not only possible but a joy. I don't want any value judgments reflected in these works....even my own. I want each piece to be a straightforward depiction of a personal decision. I want each person presented in a flattering way, and I'm really, really pleased with how this one turned out. It was also the first time I've created a piece with the model present ... watching the work progress between lunches and dinners! This also added to the overall feeling and the excitement over each stitch. Maria's husband visited over one of the weekends during which we were in Maine. He, too, said I'd captured Maria. What a compliment!

No comments: