Monday, October 15, 2012

Gift of Life


 
Gift of Life. Stitched words: She saw her mother's driver’s license and said, "If anything ever happens to me, I want to be an organ donor too"; After a terrible car crash, her parents honored her decision; Seven lives...were Saved.  Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin. Hand beading and embroidery.  25" x 35", unframed. 31" x 41", framed.  Click on image to enlarge.

April is NATIONAL DONATE LIFE MONTH. I created this significant portrait completely during the month of April 2009 and was honored to share it with people coming into my studio during the annual spring art gallery crawl in Columbia’s Vista area later in the month.  I was spreading awareness.....so.....think about making this powerful decision!  Think about signing the back of your driver's license as an organ donor or go to Donate Life America (http://www.donatelife.net/index.php) to SIGN UP!

Honestly, the worst thing that could ever happen is exactly what happened to these parents…the loss of a child.  While still in the midst of shocking grief, they went against their traditional Catholic traditions for a “complete” burial in order to do something positive for others.  They honored their daughter’s wishes to be an organ donor.  

I am registered organ donor.... but I wanted to do more.  Creating this portrait was my artistic expression to do that little extra bit of help. I also created yet another blog...just for this portrait. It serves as a tutorial for making these works....a step by step set of instructions for the xylene photo transfer process with several photos taken by my mentor, Stephen Chesley.  I’m wearing the "extremely fashionable" ventilation mask while transferring the images. The blog can be found at http://giftoflifedecisionportraitseries.blogspot.com.

No comments: