Monday, October 15, 2012

Teenage Mother


 
Teenage Mother. Stitched words: In LOVE at 15 but didn't THINK. Sorrow. Grief. Joy. Happiness. Many tears. Much love. With help from Mom and Dad. I Kept My Baby. My baby is now the mother of my grandsons.   Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin. Hand embroidery, beading, artificial flowers, ribbon and trim, chiffon. 25" x 18" unframed; 31” x 25” framed.  Click on image to enlarge.

This portrait was such a joy to stitch but it was so much more than pulling a needle and thread. It was an entire experience. From the moment I received Emmy Schoonbeek’s (http://emmyschoonbeek.blogspot.com/) first email volunteering for this project, I knew this would be special. Our email correspondence confirmed this. The photo simply couldn't be more perfect. This is Emmy at nineteen, on her wedding day, with her three-year-old daughter. I pulled phrases from her messages and asked her permission to use them.

Emmy acknowledges the hardships her decision created.  She thanks her parents for supporting her choice…. emotionally, spiritually, and financially.  She celebrates the miracle, the gift, the love and happiness that came through the tears, her lost childhood, and the consequences of an earlier decision. 

No comments: