Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Cheater


 
Cheater. Stitched word: Unfaithful. Xylene photo transfer on tea-stain muslin. Hand beaded and stitched. 25" x 19" unframed; 31" x 25" framed.  Click on image to enlarge.

Some pieces in the Decision Portrait Series have long, involved, complex stories that unfold in these written words that accompany them. This isn't one of those pieces.

Most pieces in the Decision Portrait Series are straightforward depictions of a decision made by the person in the artwork...a real likeness of a real individual, generally named, honestly stating his or her decision as fact. This isn't one of those pieces.

Several pieces in the Decision Portrait Series deal with bittersweet options.... a person faced with more than one choice, neither particularly great choices, and the decision made under these circumstances. This isn't one of those pieces either.

This is a deeply personal, highly secretive, honestly shared decision. I am in total awe of the brave individual who volunteered to share it with me and allowed me to stitch the work of art. It was truly my honor to stitch this portrait.

Several months ago, I would not have known that I would hold in such very high esteem a person who had engaged in an extra martial affair. See.... I’ve been married over thirty years to the one and only love of my life. Coming from my background, people who "cheat" are "bad". I learned that this isn't the case...far from it! Life is full of twists and turns. I shouldn't judge. I didn't judge here...I learned!

It took bravery to admit the affair. It took courage to write to me. It took an act of nearly unbelievable faith to trust me to stitch this portrait with love, compassion, and a non-judgmental mind. The "model" and I have never met. Ours is a totally Internet relationship. She trusted me with her history.

We corresponded about the image. She suggested the wedding gown and bridal veil. It is PERFECT. It symbolically brings the vows she took into focus. She approved the single stitched word: Unfaithful. The wedding attire and single word drive the decision home. It is obvious.... though she is mysteriously veiled.... alluring.... a temptress.... a goddess of desire. The work will confront exhibition viewers with several questions: Have I ever thought about or been unfaithful? How would I react if my partner was unfaithful? How would I react to someone I know admitting such an indiscretion? These are exactly the questions I hoped such a portrait would generate. I am so totally grateful and most appreciative to someone brave enough to let me make this statement by using her image in this stitched series. THANK YOU!

1 comment:

Charlotte Johnson said...

I''m Charlotte Johnson,65  years old, Here in Edmonton, Canada. With the new herbal mix medicine I purchased from Dr James herbal mix medicine West Africa  was my only way to get rid of my Alzheimer's, the herbal  mix medicine effectively reversed my condition and alleviated all symptoms.  I was initially very hesitant to discuss my Alzheimer but I just hope it can still help someone. I feel this will be very important information for all Alzheimer patients, because the most violent element in society today is ignorance. Be it any condition, a healthy diet and natural herbs and roots medicine from Dr. James is the road to fast recovery. I had suffered Alzheimer for many years, I fought for proper medical recommendation, care  and all forms of humane treatment with little improvement. I went through many sleepless nights and periods of intense grief, as do most families. I was recommended by a friend to use Dr. James herbal mix medicine for my Alzheimer with high hope and assurance. I never doubted my friend but to contact Dr. James. And purchased His herbal mix medicine which was effective and I finally feel my Alzheimer is gone with no more symptoms. He also told me that he got cures for diseases such as  Lungs diseases, kidney diseases, Warts, Bipolar disorder, Shingles,  HPV, ALS, CANCER, NEPHROTIC SYNDROME, HIV / AIDS, Herpes virus, Ovarian Cancer, Pancreatic cancers, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts, Macular degeneration, Cardiovascular disease, Autism. Enlarged prostate, Osteoporosis. Alzheimer's disease, psoriasis, Tach Diseases, Lupus, Backache, dementia, skin cancer,.testicular Cancer, Leukemia, HEPATITIS A, B, C, Contact  the great one on his email     DRJAMESHERBALMIX@GMAIL.COM   With Dr.James herbal medications for Alzheimer's , trust their is permanent cure to Alzheimer's and you will testify just like me thank you all.