Monday, October 15, 2012

Standing Up for Peace



Standing Up for Peace.  Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin.  No stitched words.  Transferred words:  Women in Black; Silent Vigial.  Hand Stitched.  25” x 35” unframed.  31” x 41”.  Click on image to enlarge.

When I first imagined stitching this piece, I intended to embroider the words "Standing in Silence" and call it Women in Black; but their sign was perfect.  Thus, the stitching went quickly, I thought it was done until I accidentally dribbled fuchsia ink on the artwork.   Discharge paste almost "fixed" it.  To cover the blemishes, I added buttons.  I like the results even better.

To create the work, I'd arranged to meet these three ladies right before 5:00.  For the past five or six year, every Wednesday, a group of individuals stands in silent protest. They are WOMEN IN BLACK.  I snapped my camera

Some of the participants weren't wearing black. It was 100 degrees (that's 38 Celsius). Black just isn't a color for that sort of heat. I don't know how they do it. I was sweating from the moment I got out of my car. Standing there, week after week, is a real commitment...a personal decision.   They are still standing…rain, snow, hail, sweltering heat, ozone alert levels…..every week….in silent protest.

No comments: