Monday, October 15, 2012

Tattoo Artist

 
Tattoo Artist. Stitched words: Marked for Life. Xylene transfer on tea-stained muslin. Hand stitched and beaded with free motion machine embroidery and snippets of lace.  19” x 15” unframed; 31” x 25” framed.  Click on image to enlarge.

White participating in the MacNamara Foundation residency program during autumn, 2008, I've worked on several pieces including this piece in my Decision Portrait series. It was my intention to bring out the sitter's youthful beauty and femininity. I'm pleased with the result   I think the pastel pinks and sea foam greens she was wear are evident. The muted coloring adds to the sense of femininity as does the lace on her bodice...which really looked like the lace she was wearing.

I know this single mother and business owner.  She has a shop called Body Rites of Columbia (http://www.myspace.com/bodyritesstudio).  She was an artist in the 2007 "Skate and Create" exhibition at Gallery 80808/Vista Studios.  This is where my studio is located.  I sponsored the show…. and the show the next year….and the one the year after that.  It was easy for me…. because this wonderful lady did almost all the work!  Without her skillful organizational skills and discerning eye, the art show would never have looked as professional as it did. She simply defies the stereotype of a “tattooed” person.  She’s smart, creative, passionate, sensible, financially responsible, and NICE.  She and her boyfriend also played the important roles of “ushers” in my 2010 solo show, “Last Words”, in Columbia.  The space was too large for me to be a hostess for the dual installations.  I needed her help.  She’s also quite talented with permanent art…. tattoo art.  She’s “marked for life”….and also quite willing to discuss the selection of a tattoo and its longevity on the human body.  We are friends…. despite the fact that I don’t have and never intent to have a tattoo.  We respect one another’s decisions. 

No comments: