Monday, October 15, 2012

Husband I


 
Husband. Stitched words: I Loved Her for 45 Years...the Last 15 with MS.  Background words:  In Sickness and In Health ‘Til Death Do Us Part (repeated).  Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin. Hand stitched and beaded. 24" x 18", unframed; 31” x 25” framed.  Click on image to enlarge.

The wonderful man in this portrait was my former insurance agent. He retired a couple of years ago but has seen my family through our business needs, personal needs, and a catastrophic house fire. His wife died about two years before our fire. The stitched background reads: In Sickness and In Health 'Til Death Do Us Part. Lots of people make these vows; lots of people keep them; but it is an important decision...especially under trying circumstances.

Unfortunately this gentle, loving man died last year (2011).  The only child, a daughter, contacted me before the funeral.  As requested, Steve and I brought the portrait to his viewing ... and left it as a gift for her family.   

No comments: