Monday, October 15, 2012

Nudist

 
Nudist. Stitched words: Just like the day I was born. Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin. Hand beading and embroidery. 25" x 31", unframed. 31" x 37", framed.  Click on image to enlarge.

The week before I stitched this portrait, I finished another Decision Portrait called Vintage Clothing Vendor.  The stitched words read:  What shall I wear today? 40s, 1950s, 60s, 70s, 80s.  I loved picking out all the colorful buttons that suggested a wide array of outfits from different decades. It was a perfect depiction of an everyday decision.  Cheri Alexander (http://www.travelites.info/cheri.html) makes this decision on most days too. She has a professional job and a corresponding wardrobe. Yet, she doesn't always have to make such a selection. Cheri has another option; she's a nudist...for over forty years! In fact, Cheri is a member of several nudist organizations, even served on regional and national levels. She is the founder and owner of Travelites,  (http://www.travelites.info/) a local nudist club.

When approaching this portrait, I only had to think for a few second before knowing the best way to embellish an image that speaks of an unadorned body. I picked natural stained wooden beads and the simplest decorations. I kept the colors to a "bare" minimum.... blond, like Cheri.... and gray, like the xylene transfer. I'm pleased with the straightforward results.... they, too, are very much like Cheri!

No comments: