Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Childless


 
Childless.  Stitched words: My hysterectomy forever changed my life. Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin. Hand embroidery and beading.  25" x 19" unframed; 31" x 25" framed.  Click on image to enlarge.

Some decisions are permanent.... absolutely and completely final. No action can undo the results of these decisions. Everything changes from that moment on. A hysterectomy is like that.

I've known this kind, sharing, and civic-minded lady for years. I knew she didn't have any kids but I didn't know why. I didn't know about the health issues and the "ticking clock" that many women hear as they age. I didn't know about a divorce either.....until she volunteered to share this most important decision with me for this artistic series. Having a hysterectomy ended an earlier expectation of life. It also set into motion a new, fulfilling life....once she got past the final reality of the decision. The portrait reflects the ambiguous nature of such a monumental decision.....bittersweet.

No comments: