Monday, October 15, 2012

Poet


 
Poet.  Stitched words:  I married Bert.  Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin.  Hand beaded and stitched.  25” x 19” unframed; 31” x 25” framed.  Click on image to enlarge.

This is one of the first Decision Portraits I knew I wanted to create. Ed Madden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Madden) and Bert Easter came to Artista Vista and saw my installation of doors and keys. I asked Ed right then if he'd pose for the new series. Immediately, he said "yes". Ed, an associate professor in the University of South Carolina’s English department and associate director of Women's and Gender Studies, spent most of the summer doing research abroad and immersing himself with the Irish language; but, once home, he sent digital photos and I went straight to work.

A poetic laurel wreathe would have been a bit "over the top" but I knew I wanted some sort of embroidery around the head.  Better than a wreathe, I wanted something that would indicate the spiritual significance of a sacrament. I know that Ed and Bert's marital vows are just as important to them as are the ones Steve and I pledged to one another. Despite the fact that South Carolina doesn't recognize these vows, Ed and Bert made a life commitment.... an important decision. I am so pleased to include this in my series and I'm quite happy with the result.

No comments: