Monday, October 15, 2012

On Making Decisions, Learning Disabled


 
On Making Decisions, Learning Disabled. Stitched words: I decide what to wear, how to best do my job, my friends and my fun time; I help with Transportation, paperwork, finances, explain things, and medical matters.  One day.... We’ll have to decide housing. Who next can be trusted?  Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin. Hand stitched and beaded.  25" x 35", unframed; 31" x 41", framed.  Click on image to enlarge.

The process of sharing each Decision Portrait over the Internet generates communication with other, comments on the work, and suggestions for new decision topics.  One of the people responding to an earlier piece was Chris Mundy (http://frenchtownfiber.blogspot.com/).  We started corresponding.  Through our emails, I learned that Chris is Kate's proud mother.... and an important part of Kate's support system. Kate is learning disabled. Looking at the decision making process took on a new perspective and even though this portrait wasn't on my "wish list", I knew it was a perfect way to focus on DECISIONS! It has been a wonderful pleasure working with both Chris and Kate.

Kate makes most of her own daily decisions. Some matters, however, need gentle advice. Chris is there. Some issues require Chris's trusted judgment. They are a great team. They will make the decisions in the future...with respect for one another.

I hope that those viewing this finished piece will think about how decisions are made.... sometimes alone, sometimes with the advice of others, sometimes by someone else. I know that I've thought about how I make decisions...sometimes alone, sometimes with my husband Steve, and sometimes Steve makes the decisions for us both. It took Kristine and Kate for me to consider this aspect of the decision making process. I'm honored to have learned from such fantastic new friends.

No comments: