Monday, October 15, 2012

Gun Owner


 
Gun Owner, Decision Portrait Series.  Hand embroidery and beading.  25" x 19" unframed; 31" x 25" framed.  Click on image to enlarge.

Some Decision Portraits require lots of stitched words.  Some need none at all.  This one is totally self-explanatory.  I first saw Bobby at Bill Mishoe’s auction months ago.  He was wearing this t-shirt.  I thought to myself, "This would make a GREAT decision portrait!  There's a clear option...a selection...a decision.....right there in the words!"  There was a slight problem though.  The words appeared on the back of the t-shirt.  So, I didn't approach him.  Yet, he came to the next auction wearing the same t-shirt.  I couldn't resist.  I introduced myself saying, "Hi, I'm a local artist creating pieces called Decision Portraits.  I'd like to make one of you in that t-shirt ... if you'll wear it backwards."

Fortunately, Bobby didn't think I was a total lunatic.  We later met at his house.  I explained the concept and we browsed through the Decision Portrait series blog.  He put on his t-shirt, backwards and I snapped the photos. 

I selected the various shell beads because they sort of reminded me of miniature "targets".  The only other stitching needed was a running stitch outline around Bobby and a backstitched red thread around the check mark.  Personally, I'll NEVER own a gun.  This is part of the beauty of the Decision Portrait Series ... no one decision is "right" for everyone!  

No comments: