Monday, October 15, 2012

Priest


 
Priest.  Stitched words: Called to Serve.  Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin. Hand stitched and beaded.   25" x 19" unframed; 31” x 25” framed.  Click on image to enlarge.

Before Christmas 2008 I started both Rabbi and Priest. The experience was spiritual.... the connection between the two portraits added to the season. Rabbi was done first. It included the words "Waiting for the Messiah". I knew I wanted a Star of David blackwork pattern for Rabbi. Somehow, the need for blackwork continued with Priest  but the star became the one for Bethlehem, eight points....just like all the stars in early Italian renaissance frescoes set in a sea of ultramarine blue pigment. Hence, the color. As I worked, I realized that both these men are "Waiting for the Messiah".... first or second time.... it’s not so important. Both these men were also "Called to Serve". In a since, their decisions are very, very similar. Intuitively, my stitching approach was also similar. I'm quite pleased with both works.

Yes, I know my "priest" wasn't wearing a fatherly collar. I liked it better this way. Each work in this series is meant to be viewed.... straightforwardly.... with no value judgments.... person to person. The decision is the important thing.... not the costume!

No comments: