Monday, October 15, 2012

Psychic/Medium


 
Psychic/Medium. Stitched words: It's in the cards. Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin. Hand embroidery and beading; found objects. 25" x 19" unframed; 31" x 25" framed.  Click on image to enlarge.

Stacy Appel (www.secondsightings.com) is a professional psychic and medium. She's been working in the field for over twenty-five years. Her readings are featured at both corporate and private events. She’s appeared on radio and television programs and her essays have been published in various publications. Stacy also teaches Tarot and intuition/creativity classes. The image she sent was from the Great Dickens Christmas Fair and I liked it very much because it immediately helps tell the story.

The "story" is about DECISIONS. At some point years ago, Stacy chose to leave a traditional job in the health care and hospice field in order to work full-time as a psychic. A skeptic by nature, she had to decide to embrace her gifts and to follow this alternative career path. Those seeking her guidance often face the similar decisions of trust and belief.

For me and for the Decision Portrait Series, this piece is significant. When on display in the upcoming exhibitions, it subtly asks viewer if they believe in the mystical realm. Is there an intelligent creativity operating behind the scenes?

Although I've never consulted a psychic and/or medium, I would consider doing so. I own a little book by Georgia Routsis Savas called The Oracle Book. I bought over twelve years ago, before I ever really dared of becoming an artist; that was just a "dream". After reading the introduction, silently asking the question, "Can I really become an artist?” I closed my eyes and ran my fingers over the pages. Then I opened the book to read: The Palm Reader sees a starred palm: You will be successful by virtue of sheer talent.

I guess I want to believe; I bought the book! If I lived closer to Stacy, I'd likely enroll in one of her classes! The issue of belief…. in one’s talent, one’s life path, one’s choices…. is one of the driving forces in the Decision Portrait Series. Where, and in what, do we place our faith?

No comments: